eBooks are a dynamic and ever evolving market. Everyday I find new and interesting items, ideas and information. These are my favorite for this week.
Publisher's Weekly 2008 Trends
Mike Shatzkin has been around the publishing industry for a long time. There are even those who refer to him as a guru. Guru or not, he is a savvy guy and knows publishing. When Mike makes predictions about industry trends, I pay attention.
This week he wrote up his 2008 predictions for Publisher's weekly piece: 15 Trends to Watch. Some of them are really only interesting to "industry insiders" but not all. This year he had a lot to say about the Internet and digital publishing. In fact, one third (five for the math adverse) of his predictions have something to do with eBooks:
- The popularity of e-books will increase
- Sales of books in electronic form to public libraries will continue to grow
- Christmas 2008 will be the first year in which there will be sales of customized books as eBooks and POD titles
- Apple will move to turn the iPhone and iPod into e-book readers
- “Read and listen” bundles of e-books will become available as digital downloads
eBook Reader Comparisons
I have now found a way to dodge that particular bullet. I simply refer them to this excellent synopsis: Book Readers At a Glance from the Wired Blog. Unfortunately, I may have to change tactics soon since this piece is only three months old and there are new readers to consider.
And finally, one I just can't resist.
This is for those of you worried about reading eBooks anywhere. The Myvu goggles may be just the ticket. They are sold as "a personal media viewer." Put them on, kick back and prepare for total immersion.