Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Oprah picks Middlesex for her bookclub

I flat out loved this book! I didn’t want it to end. I’ll bet ten different people told me that Middlesex was a must read book. . . That usually much means that I'll read it, hate it and I'll wonder who decides on the Pultizer Prizes . Of course I resisted. My stock answer -- “Oh yeah, that’s on my list”. My daughter says that is Gigi code for “Thanks but no thanks”. I was wrong! It is a fabulous work. I laughed, I cried and shook my head in disbelief. I never wanted it to end. It’s Greek (or at least an Americanized version) for sure. But is it a comedy or tragedy? I'm still not sure. The short version review says Spanning across eight decades--and one unusually awkward adolescence - Jeffrey Eugenides' long-awaited second novel is a grand, utterly original fable of crossed bloodlines, the intricacies of gender, and the deep, untidy promptings of desire. I could pull a lot of reviews but all reviews in the world won’t come close to describing the experience. . . download it and start reading -- Middlesex is HIGHLY recommended

No comments:

Google
 

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon