Monday, October 15, 2007

All about Green

Water Phone?

Amazing the things you see surfing the net! Yesterday it was this headline: “Get Ready for Water-Powered Cell Phones.”

Since more than 60% of all eBooks purchased are read on cellphones of some sort, any changes that benefits cell phones will ultimately benefit me as an eBook reader. Of course this headline piqued by curiosity.

I clicked through to a Korean news site that told me that by 2010 my mobile phone might be powered with a fuel cell that uses water not methanol to create hydrogen (and I always thought that methanol was just plain old wood alcohol).

But other than silly pictures in my head and an interest in eBook technology, I still wasn’t sure why this was newsworthy. Well, it turns out that using water to make hydrogen will not add carbon to the air. Very environmentally friendly AND the “water cell” lasts 10 time longer than the current rechargeable battery technology. No CO2 produced and no toxic batteries to dispose of. Maybe cellphones will become the next consumer item to go "Green."

And speaking of "Green"

I have to note Al Gore's 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. Al and the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change won “for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."

I started this piece hoping to make a crass commercial opportunity to plug An Inconvenient Truth, but sadly, it is not an eBook format. Which, BTW, I think is really odd!

But back to Al. He certainly has his detractors, enemies and critics! But no matter. His very public campaign has garnered a great deal of notice for the idea of global climate change and it ramifications.

Agree with him or not; he has certainly raised awareness! Congratulations, Al Gore.

No comments:

Google
 

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon