Bowker (the company that distributes and assign ISBN numbers to books) and Publisher's Weekly (the biggest publishing industry magazine) have released a new report about consumer book purchases and reading habits. For a mere $1000, you can buy and read the whole report. For the rest of us there is the press release.
The press release notes that eBooks and digital publishing are the bright notes in an otherwise dim industry outlook. The also offer the following info:
- 57% of book buyers are women yet women purchase 65% of the books sold in the U.S.
- Mystery books are the most popular genre for book club sales, with 17% of all purchases of mystery books coming directly from book clubs
- Generation X consumers buy more books online than any other demographic group, with 30% of them buying their books through the Internet
- 21% of book buyers said they became aware of a book through some sort of online promotion or ad
- Women made the majority of the purchases in the paperback, hardcover and audio-book segments
- Men accounted for 55% of e-book purchases