Friday, December 19, 2008

Under Reported eBooks -- eBooks I have Read This Year but Haven't Reviewed

This morning I looked through the past book review postings on the site.  From the reviews posted you would think that about the only things I read are Romances, Biographies and Literary Fiction.  It would be a fair evaluation, although not exactly accurate. 

There are a number of books that I have read, but for various reasons have not reviewed.  For example, I don't know how to review a Mystery without giving away the plot.  Or (for another example) I try to stay away from political controversy so I never review books about politics or current events. 

Then there are the books that are either so bad I can't finish them, or the ones I struggle to finish because. . . well, just because.  I almost never review those either.  I mean what's the point; after all I want you to read the books I write about.

Which brings me to the point. . .listed below are some of the books I have read this year and not reviewed.  I am going to confine it to only the ones I have enjoyed.  Maybe one of these days I will post a list of the ones I couldn't finish. . . .

 Musicophilia by Sacks, Oliver

First of all I am a huge fan of Oliver Sacks and his work so this was a natural.  Added to the fact that I come from a family of musicians and music is a big part of our family culture.  Sacks explores the connection between the brain and music. 

Outliers by Gladwell, Malcolm

This was a fascinating study on intelligent people and how raw intelligence may actually be overrated.  It is also a study of how culture, environment, education and personality interplay with intelligence.  The stories are enthralling.  This was a book I read in fits and starts over several weeks. 

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Goodwin, Doris Kearns

Kerns is another favorite author.  Several years ago I did a reading project: I read at least one book about each of the US Presidents.  I wish that this book had been around then. But it is good reading now!

T is for Trespass by Grafton, Sue

I have read very one of Grafton's novels and am always anxious to get my hands on the latest one.  Now, however, I am starting to get worried since we are up to T;  are there really only six left?  Oh no!  Grafton is a master at building and holding tension and hasn't written a bunk one yet.  If you haven't read her books -- do yourself a favor and start one today!

DownHill Lie by Carl Hiaasen

I'm not a golfer, a golf watcher or even a Tiger Woods fan, but this take on golfing had me laughing out loud. . . 

 

 

So, there you have it.  A few of the other books I have enjoyed this year and highly recommend.

No comments:

Google
 

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon